Monday, June 05, 2006

You Know You're Adjusting to Latino Culture When...

You have to compulsively check ESPN.com before scheduling anything to make sure there's not a World Cup Soccer game at that same time! You wouldn't want to miss a game, or worse yet, make anyone ELSE miss a game!

Haha! Seriously, I am making a schedule for some gringas who are coming to work with us for two months, and I check to make sure we're not missing Mexico or Brasil games! Of course, we have cable at the cafe, and will be showing at least all the televised games that involve Mexico or Brasil. That just struck me as funny! Friday begins the madness - Germany v. Costa Rica at 11am (here). I think the Germans who made the game schedule chose that to be the first game of the Cup because they knew there is no way that they WON'T beat Costa Rica (poor Ticos...) I'll root for Costa Rica anyway - Central America represent! Well, I'll root for them AFTER returning from me and the other girls' spanish placement test that I accidentally scheduled at 11am on friday BEFORE consulting ESPN.com... haha! I figure we'll get the last 15 mintues or so of the game...

On a happier note for those of you who don't care about soccer, here are a few pictures from this past friday night - '70's night at the cafe!!


Brisa, Lluvia and Justin


Estefani, Laura, and Alvaro enjoying karaoke!

I unfortunately don't have any pictures of ME at the party! I had a brown dress with big orange and yellow dots on it, so you can use your imagination! After the party, a lot of us went downtown to enjoy "Antojitos," of basically the traditional Mexican version of fast food. I got home at 1am, probably not the best idea considering how much stuff I have going on this week, but it sure was fun! There is another group of gringos here, with Southern Baptist missionaries, and our friend Nolan is hosting them. He's my age, and the group of gringos are like early 20's, so with them, and several people from Global, we enjoyed downtown at night, and food that the other gringos kept worrying about getting sick from... haha!

Alan, Jenn, Mariana, and Silvia - Jenn's last day in QRO, with her Mexican family.

Tomorrow, I'm off to Mexico City to pick up 2 new gringas who will be working with us for 2 months!!

No comments: